Monday, March 16, 2009

Lovely

I'm such a happy person :) I just thought I'd throw that out there. No, nothing "special" happened. It's just that sometimes I think about how terrible everything was after Mac died, and then I compare it to how I see life now. I'm a whole different person.
I guess I'll write about today.
I had a Chemistry quiz this morning. It wasn't that bad. I studied thermochemistry for hours last night so that I could remember all of the equations and how and when to use them. I think I did pretty well on it. 
My Human Animal class was pretty interesting this morning. We're talking about sex and attraction. How fun! Dr. Dolby told us today that the same areas in the brain become more active when men look at tools as when they look at a bikini-clad model :D I thought that was pretty funny, as did most everyone else in the class. I love breaking our species down until we're "just" another animal, looking at what really makes us tick. I have to get started on our next paper, and I really should start researching for our final project. 
Computer science went well too. We started learning about arrays. In order to introduce them, Stephen told us to warm up and write a Javascript program to find the mean exam scores for a class. That was easy enough. Then, he asked us to edit it so it would also count the number of students who earned scores that were at least 10 points below average. He left the room for a few minutes and came back when he'd heard a satisfactory number of frustrated groans and grumbles. He started laughing at us, informed us that what he'd just done was "mean," and then told us it wasn't possible--unless you ask the same "What is student X's grade?" bit all over again (which would irritate me, for sure), or use an array. I'd pretty much already come to the conclusion that it was impossible without some sort of new knowledge, though, and I thought it was pretty amusing. Arrays are interesting.
They had polenta with tomato sauce tonight for dinner in the dining hall. It was so good, and it was actually prepared properly. I've not yet mastered the skill of making good polenta.

No comments: