Saturday, March 7, 2009

Swimming? Eh...not quite.

I got really bored this morning. It also happened to be quite a beautiful morning. I'm pretty sure it's around 75 outside, and it's wonderful--especially since there was a massive amount of snow on the ground just a couple of days ago. 
I decided to take a shower, get dressed, and go swimming down the road at the creek. I only have access to a mucky, shallow area where the creek kind of ends, but I figured I could keep an eye out for people on their docks and work my way out to some deeper water. I walked down to the creek, rolled up my shorts, and took the "plunge." 
Agh. It was not a pretty sight. I stepped into the water and immediately sank to my knees in mud. And it wasn't just mud, either--it was decaying, nasty pond muck stuff. I did expect to sink a little, but I didn't expect to be trapped up to my knees (and, later on, to the middle of my thighs). I kind of waded around for a while. I mean, I was already covered in mud, so why not play around for a bit? It was actually fun, but it was still very cold and my joints started stiffening up. I decided to get out while I still could; the mud was making it hard to move, and my joints being stiff wasn't going to help me slog my way back to solid ground. 
I did manage to wash off most of the mucky stuff before I headed back down the road. Then, I gave myself and my shoes a good scrubbing to get the putrid slime off. I have no idea why I bothered to take a shower before I went....
I should get someone to come with me next time. I don't think Drew would even try going out in the water, even if he didn't know how muddy he'd get. Robert might give it a shot. Maybe I'll talk him into it after a nice meditation session this summer. No one else lives nearby, unfortunately.
I should write some more about other things I've been doing over break, but I'm feeling antsy.

No comments: