Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Pre-Semester Nerves

Spring 2010 is looming in the not-so-distant future. I'm really excited, but I'm kind of nervous about a couple of my classes.
Linear Algebra is going to be miserable. According to some student testimonials that I've read, the only professor teaching the class next semester is both brilliant and completely asinine. I read that the professor would try to embarrass students for asking questions and that a majority of the class has to retake it. I'm sorry, but I'm no longer willing to tolerate verbal abuse from my professors like I did in high school. I'm not letting my Computer Science major slip away from me again.
I'm in two linguistics classes. One of them, Linguistics and Text, is supposed to be a very easy class. I have Dr. Parker again, and Paul's sister, Anne, who is also a Linguistics major, is in the class with me. She says that it'll be really easy, so I'm not worried. Anne said, however, that my other linguistics class, Intro to Phonology, is probably going to be a bit difficult. I really can't afford not to take it this semester, even though I found phonology somewhat difficult even in Intro to Linguistics and know it probably will be hard on me.
I'm taking two computer science classes next semester as well. One of them is a 100-level class called Digital Storytelling. Paul is trying to get into the class with me, and it's supposed to include blogging and playing video games. I assume it's going to be ridiculously easy, and it counts for one of my gen ed credits. I really didn't want to take a writing class for that particular requirement just because I knew it would add a lot of unnecessary stress to the semester.
The other computer science class I'm taking is a Data Structures class, Computer Science 230. It's taught in C++, which I've wanted to learn for a while. I think it'll be fun, but I'm worried about it. I've heard people describe it as the "make-or-break" class. If you don't like it or you don't do well...it's not a good sign. I guess that my only option is to go forth boldly and give it a good shot. Hey, that's all you can do sometimes.
I don't know why I always worry about my classes. It seems I repeat this same blog post before each semester, only with different classes. I consider myself on the same level with my peers, and whatever I don't have of skill I like to think I make up for with passion. Sometimes it's just that I think about coding something and it seems so overwhelming that I'll never be able to tackle it. I try to tell myself to stop being so silly and just think about it some more, but sometimes I can't help but feel like I'm lacking something.
I was thinking about GALL today. I never wrote about the one meeting where we went around one of the dorms practicing our ninja prowling. It was so much fun. We were all crawling about awkwardly, giggling and peeking around corners at each other. One girl knocked me flat out because I extended an arm in front of her leg, which she pulled forward and carried my support away with it. We all laughed about that too. We haven't done many things with GALL this year. Pretty much there are four members now: Mike, Mike's girlfriend, Chris, and me. I worry about the fate of GALL after Mike graduates. The responsibility of leading the club is probably going to fall on me, and I don't know whether the club will survive until my graduation based on its current membership and activity level. We also don't have any funding, so that makes it a lot harder to do impressive stuff without having to buy materials ourselves. It's very sad :(

No comments: