Monday, February 23, 2009

I can't believe I haven't done this in such a long time.

I mean, things are changing rapidly.
I think I came close to acing my Chemistry exam this morning. I was SO pleased with myself. My professor even told me that my hard work is paying off and that he's really proud of me. 
I also think I'm ready to declare my majors. I really decided last week, when I was doing my computer science homework. We had to design two web pages, and I don't think I've ever had so much fun doing homework. My professor thought my work was hilarious, and he really liked it. I really like everything we're doing in the class. I'd already done HTML and CSS before, and I was slightly familiar with Javascript. In fact, I wanted to be a computer programmer back when I was 13 or 14. I want to talk to my computer science professor on Wednesday or some time very soon so that I can ask him how terrible the math courses required for the Computer Science major are. 
I'm not that scared of math anymore, though. Chemistry has kind of cured that.
But that's not all. I intend to double major. 
I'm going to shoot for a Latin major as well. Think of it! I'll study dead languages and computer languages! How cool is that? I just want to major in Latin because I love it; I don't intend to do anything with it. I really don't think I want to be a teacher, unless I got a masters' in one major or the other and taught at the college level. 
It's exciting to think that I have some direction in my life now. 
We're still painting light bulbs in GALL. I had to pick them up last time, and that was kind of a fun adventure. I had to sneak into the basement of an upperclassman dorm to get a box for the light bulbs. Then, I carried the box halfway across campus and filled it with light bulbs. One of the light bulbs was broken, so I had to clean that up. The box was overfilled, but I decided to risk it and carry it back to the dorm anyway. I was lucky that someone opened the door just as I got onto the porch, so I was able to "piggyback" inside and back to the basement. The basement is really creepy.  I had to go really deep into it to find the stash of GALL supplies that were hidden away. Since I didn't want anyone else to suffer the way I did, I even split the light bulbs into two separate boxes so that they weren't so heavy and easily dropped. 
I want to live in that particular dorm next year--it's closest to the building that houses my majors, and it's REALLY nice--so it's nice that I get to see so much of it. 
My professors are really entertaining. Today, my computer science professor told us about the meaning behind the name of C++. It made me giggle a little and I felt like such a nerd. Last Thursday, my Latin professor told us about Vergil graffiti. It inspired me, even though she warned us that she didn't want to see any lines scrawled out on the bathroom doors in the building :) I need a new pad of Post-Its... 
My tape sculpture is going along nicely. I've got both arms finished (except for a little bit up near the shoulder, which I'll finish later) and most of both legs (minus some of my upper thighs and one whole foot). I have a plan, but it's just going to take a while for me to complete my upper body. I also like to have a little privacy when I'm doing it because...well, let's face it, I get a lot of odd stares. I try to do it when my roommates aren't around because the sound of the packing tape really does get annoying after a while. I hauled everything into the vending room a while back so I could do one of my legs, and it was so awkward every time someone walked in. I managed to have a conversation about it with one girl, who freaked out and thought I was injured. I had to explain tape sculpture to her, carefully avoiding anything that might hint to her what I plan to do once I have a life-sized, see-through me. 
I'm making a sitting sculpture, so I intend to leave it on a bench. I'll probably use a little extra tape to hold it down, because tape sculptures tend to be really light and wind around here tends to be really strong. I don't really mind if anyone takes it. In fact, I'd probably be relieved if someone took it, because then I wouldn't have to deal with it anymore and hopefully it would make someone very happy to possess such an object.  
I hate to admit it, though, but I think I'm going to need a little help once I get to my head. I might just try a rough once-over with some plastic wrap and packing tape. I won't be able to do either part of my nose or my mouth because...er, I've gotta breathe. I also don't know how I'm going to cut it off of my own face. I cut the inside of my elbow the other day when I was trying to remove an arm (That would sound hilarious out of context.), and that was with a regular pair of scissors. I thought I might try using my exacto knife, but then I remembered just how sharp those things are and just how much damage I managed to do with scissors. Ehhhh...exacto and face... There's no way that'd turn out well.

No comments: