Thursday, June 4, 2009

Even more computer and college stuffs. (Have you died of boredom yet?)

My life consists solely of studying calculus, mucking stalls, and screwing around with computers. Mm, and a little Latin. I'm boring. Sigh...
Today I played around with my Java hello world program. I wrote it and debugged it (Debugging a hello world program... Hahaha, that's a little embarrassing.) a while back, but I never tried to run it. I opened up Terminal, did the whole command-line thing, and had about fifteen minutes of sheer SQUEE while running it over and over again.
Hello, world!
Hello, world!
Hello, world!
Hello, world!
Yeah, that entertained me. I was happy :)
I studied my calculus today. I did lots of stuff with limits and continuity. It wasn't too bad. Limits are supposed to be really important, so I've been studying them extra hard. For the most part, I'm getting all of the practice problems right.
I studied Latin last night. I opened up my good old Wheelock's book and made some vocab flashcards. My vocabulary isn't as good as it should be. I was driving down the road the other day and trying to compose Latin sentences in my head. I couldn't think of any good words. It made me sad, so now I'm rebuilding my vocabulary so it's strong and healthy.
I worked on my old computer a few nights ago. It's about seven years old, running Windows XP, and, according to the guy at the computer shop, the slowest computer anyone's ever had the displeasure of booting up. No joke, it takes almost twenty minutes to be able to click anything, and almost twenty more before anything starts to work. After a while it runs almost as quickly as the Mighty Mac, but I can't use it without a little desktop fan blowing on it. It'll overheat in a matter of minutes without the fan. At this point, replacing the fan would probably cost more than the computer is worth. For a while, I've been thinking about cleaning everything off of it, hopefully making it run faster, and then trying Ubuntu on it as a fun project until the thing finally gives out. (Then it'll be my little "dissection" project, but--shhh!--don't tell it.) I've started the whole "cleaning everything off of it" part, and I've actually accomplished a lot. I took notes the other night because I knew it would keep me entertained while I was waiting around for everything. Maybe I'll type them out here later. They're kind of amusing, in an odd sort of way.
I went to go see Robert about a week ago. That was great. I dropped by around 8:30 and we played a spaceship video game. It was so much fun, but I don't think I was very good at it. I died a whole lot. I think it was after 10 before I left to go home. I've missed Robert.
Mm, I've got about an hour before I should go to bed. Calculus? Nah. Too late for that. I'll find something to do.

No comments: