Friday, August 28, 2009

Friday.

Today was a great day.
I only had my Latin class today, so I didn't have to go to school until one. I decided to go a little earlier, however, because I wanted to see Dr. Helmstutler (my new Calculus II professor) and I had to meet with Sara and have my lunch before class. The "meeting" with Dr. Helmstutler was uneventful--it didn't happen. He was cozied up in his office chair and I actually think he was sleeping. There was no way I was going to wake him up just to tell him that I was actually able to get into the class and to ask him if I could have a syllabus.
I simply went downstairs to the computer science department. I translated my Latin for a little bit, but I got a cramp in my hand and I didn't really feel like doing any more. After I put my notebook away, I alternated between staring off into space and putting my head down on the table. I watched people walk by and listened to them. One guy rolled down a small "hill" in one of the halls and came flying past me in a rolling chair. I thought that was funny and I kind of wanted to try it, but I didn't want the whole department to be taken over by rolling-chair races. The place looks a whole lot bigger now that it got those new lab doors and some of the tables were removed, but it's still the narrow hallway that it's always been. Later on, I heard Stephen talking to a more advanced CS major about the "clueless 110 students." (And just so Dr. Davies doesn't sound mean--because he isn't--he also added that everyone is there at one point :))
It is pretty funny to think about just how clueless we all were. I really shouldn't say "were." Most of the class didn't continue with computer science, but the ones who did still are quite clueless--yes, I'm including myself in that statement. It's humbling to think about just how much I don't know yet. I made a lot of ridiculous mistakes in 110, a whole lot, but I honestly feel like I'm learning a lot of new stuff. It's an exciting process, one which isn't complete without screwing up a few good times.
That was my personal thought for the day. I basically turned that over in my head for the rest of my time in the department today.
After I left the basement, I went to wait for Sara. Sara is one of the co-presidents who will be taking over GALL after Mike graduates, and I think we're going to consider her the "main" president because most of the forms only allow a single president. She told me that she'd meet me in front of one of the buildings in order for me to give her the list of new GALL members that we got at Club Carnival. To make a long story short, it started pouring down rain while I waited half an hour for her. She never showed, but she just sent me a message, apologizing profusely and telling me that she completely forgot. I'm really not bothered at all; I just wish that someone else had the list so that we could go ahead and get an e-mail out to everyone about the upcoming meeting. It was actually kind of fun. I sat on one of the tables on the patio in front of the building and stayed under the umbrella. My shoes got wet, but it was okay. Mike actually ran out of the building, frolicking and shouting something about the rain, which made me laugh. I didn't even realize until after he was out of yelling distance that I could've just given him the list. I felt dumb :P
I did have lunch though, and it was very good. I had some delicious tofu stir fry. I always love a good tofu stir fry.
Latin class was also very good. I DID A GOOD SIGHT TRANSLATION. It was a fairly simple sentence, but I read it quickly and easily. It's almost like old times :) I miss being able to read Latin like that. I used to be really good with sight translations, but I guess I got out of practice once I left Mr. Wimer's class. AP Latin did nothing for me; in fact, it might've hurt me. And, of course, I couldn't take any Latin during my senior year. Maybe I'll get good enough to take the Latin Composition class. I would love that.

No comments: