Monday, August 24, 2009

Get ready for blog post overload--school is back in session.

I just finished with my classes for the day. I only had two actual classes along with a riding meeting, so it wasn't too much.
I left early for campus because I wanted breakfast and I assumed it would take forever for me to find a parking space. I got lost, re-oriented myself after finding my way out of a set of one-way streets that was obviously some sort of practical joke on the part of the planners, and finally went to the campus police station and demanded a commuter pass. For now, since I'm living off campus in some apartments that the college is renting out for us, I'm technically a commuting student. There were NO parking spaces available for me in any of the lots behind the dorms, and I finally took advantage of my temporary commuter pass to park in a special area of the college apartments (no, not where I live) lot. It honestly took 45 minutes of driving around, including the "infinite loop" that I got myself caught in.
Speaking of infinite loops, I did manage to have a little bit of breakfast before heading over to the computer science department for my first class. I even managed to get there early and look around.
Over the summer, the department got a major renovation. The computer lab got leveled out so that no one has to trip on their way in or out anymore. The lab got new doors that are glass, and the whole place got repainted to a creamy yellow. It looks much more open and spacious now. They even got some new furniture in the rooms, and I'm sure they were able to get some new equipment too. It was "very wow."
I sat down at one of the tables off to the side of the elevator and started to think. I mostly thought about my upcoming class as I stared into the freshly-painted walls of the basement. Suddenly, I felt a hand on my shoulder and heard the familiar, friendly voice of Dr. Davies. We chatted for just a few moments; he seemed like he was busy, so I was happy to let him go back to his office.
A girl approached me and sat down beside me. She asked me if I'm enrolled in 220, so we started talking about the class. She's also a Computer Science major. I was actually really happy when I looked around the hall at all of the tables and saw...four girls and two guys :D I realized just how odd (read: amazing) the school actually is when I realized that about half of the class consisted of female students. That's pretty much unheard of. I had thought that I might be one of only a few (or the only) female student in the class, but I was very pleased to discover that I was wrong.
The class went very well. The professor was very nice. She's the department head, the lady I visited when I declared the major. I sat through the normal first-day speech on classroom procedures. We also went through the syllabus. I'm not terribly worried about it. We did a little bit of learning today. I didn't know some of the stuff I thought that I should have already known, but I was able to follow the discussions easily. I'll get there in time; Dr. Zaidman wouldn't be teaching it if we were expected to know it already. In fact, I've already cracked the book once today.
I went to Latin after lunch. There were actually 12 people in the class, which I was definitely not expecting.
I'll finish updating after I have dinner.

No comments: