Monday, August 31, 2009

Kicking off the second week :)

The week has started off pretty well. I was hungry this morning and really tired, so it was difficult to focus in my computer science class. I ate a quick lunch and then played Guitar Hero in Paul's room until Latin. I didn't do a great job with my sight translation today in Latin, but it was good enough. I also had a nice ride and I ate dinner with Amber and Heather. Amber is in my riding class this semester and she was in it with me last semester. Heather rode with me during the first semester. We had a nice, long talk about horses over our dinners :)
I went home this weekend to judge a therapeutic riding barn's horse show. I got back to school around 7:15 last night. Paul called me and asked me if I wanted to come over and see him, so I stopped on campus and made a quick run to the computer science department while he was coming back from dinner. I was going to do a little reconnaissance work (By now you should know that means I'm up to no good with some sort of ridiculous practical joke...), but there was someone down there and it just seemed awkward to have someone around me while I was in sketch mode. I don't know if I'll pull it off, but the idea is there in case I ever decide to do it. Perhaps later in the semester ;)
I stepped out onto the front porch of the building where I saw Paul. I came up behind him, walked beside him for several moments, then passed him. I greeted him, but I guess he didn't hear me. I finally sent him a text message and told him to look up. It was pretty amusing.
We went to his room for a while and watched a movie. It was a funny movie, but I can't remember the name of it. It'll come in time. Then, we went walking around town. We came to a park, but kept on walking. We walked all the way back to his car, which he drove to another park that was a short distance away from campus. We walked around and talked. It was hard to see where the path was in the dark, and I was worried that we were going to get lost. It wasn't so much the "getting lost" part as it was the "I have class at 10 AM tomorrow and I want to get some sleep and do my homework" part. I'm fully aware of the fact that I'm a nerd :P We took a few different paths. One led to a huge field. We walked through the field until we came to a fence. The fence would've been easy enough to jump, but we didn't know if it was the property of the public park or not. We turned around and took a different path, which led us to some water. We couldn't tell much about the water because it was so dark. We tossed pebbles to see where it started, but even then we weren't sure. I got my leg wrapped in some fishing line, but fortunately there wasn't a hook attached to it. Maybe one day we can go back when we can actually see the water. I bet it would be gorgeous.
After all of the trails were explored, we went back up to the parking lot. There was a playground near the parking lot, so we played on it for a while. Swinging was very fun. Going down the slide was not. I climbed up a little metal ladder with my wet, slippery shoes and wasn't sure if I was actually going to make it up or not. I went down one of the curvy slides, which was where I made a huge mistake.
The slides were designed for small children, not tall college students. When I reached the bend in the slide, one side of my hips banged into the side of the slide. I kept going and the other side of my hips banged up against the side. It was definitely not a pleasant ride, but I'm happy to report that they were more slide-y than the slide at the park near my house. I can't slide down the one near my house. I always have to jump off halfway down because it just isn't slick enough.
So, that little adventure was the reason why I had to wear my riding boots all day today and why I just got finished with blow-drying my shoes. They were still absolutely soaked when I got ready to put them on this morning, even though I unlaced them and took the arch supports and the little base cushions out. In case you didn't know, I have a pair of tennis shoes and a pair of riding boots here with me at school. So much for stereotypical female behavior :)
There should be a GALL meeting tomorrow night, so I'm extremely excited about that. I added all of the new members to the e-mail list early this morning, so hopefully Mike will send out the e-mail soon if he hasn't already. I want to do some crazy stunt on our first night, so I hope someone else has an idea for something. I'm dry right now.
The PERL meetings are, unfortunately, during my linguistics class. I'm still not sure if I got into the linguistics class or not, but the odds are definitely in my favor. The professor told me to come to this week's class having done the assignment, so I assume that means she's pretty sure I'll get in.
The ACM meetings are on Thursday nights, however, so I'm going to go to them to make up for it. I guess there will be a lot of overlap between PERL and ACM (but PERL is all girls, haha), so I'll still get to meet lots of the members and maybe I'll attend some of PERL's special events. ACM is supposedly having a water balloon fight, and the thought of that makes me very happy. If it's anything like playing with a frisbee at the spring picnic, it'll be very amusing indeed :)

No comments: