Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Latin, Linguistics, and Computer Science

I've been doing some hard thinking for the past few days. I don't know what I should do. I've been thinking for a while now about ultimately working in the field of artificial intelligence. It certainly sounds like an ideal career path for me. I'm interested in computer science, language, and the human mind. It would be fun!
With those thoughts came the idea of a major in Linguistics. The university that I attend doesn't offer a Linguistics major, but there are several linguistics courses offered that go along with the English and Communications majors. The university also offers the opportunity to design a special major that includes courses from two or more disciplines. I don't want to drop my Latin major completely. Rather, I'd like to create a hybrid Latin/Linguistics major that will give me a leg-up in a future career and excuse me from all of the mythology and Roman history courses that I don't really want to take. The school's "special major" page on their site even suggested combining linguistics courses with a language to form the Linguistics major. I think they were hoping students would choose a modern foreign language to create their own Linguistics major, but the only good language is a dead language :) (Programming languages are good too, but my favorite shirt doesn't agree.)
I think that creating the Latin/Linguistics major will help me graduate on time. I also think I'll be happier. I love Latin, but I love the language. I've always been into grammar and language over analyzing literature, studying mythology, and learning about history.
This isn't set in stone yet, but it's definitely something I'm thinking about. The only thing is that I feel like a bad Latin student for not pursuing the major in its entirety. But I'm silly, I guess.
In other news, I e-mailed my roommate for the coming year. Her name is Jasmine, and she sounds very nice and interesting. She told me that she likes animals, which is always a winner with me. She also doesn't smoke or drink, which also makes me happy. We share a few interests so far, and I'm really excited to hear more from her. The information that I got tells me that we're still in hotel housing, so we may not be together at all. They might find space for us on campus, which means they'll stick us wherever there are two open spots, together or not. I would love a great roommate, but I also really want to be on campus. I don't know, and I'm not going to worry about it. If we're together, great. Jasmine sounds wonderful. If we're not, so it goes. It's always nice to meet people to have as friends.
I also got an e-mail from Mike, the current president of GALL. He's graduating in the coming year, so he sent out a message to all of the current members of GALL asking for someone who is willing to be trained as his replacement. I hesitated to respond because I figured that someone else would want to take the three open positions, but I was worried that, if no one else responded either, GALL would die. I sent Mike a response telling him that I'd take a position if one still needed to be filled, and he told me that a co-presidency seemed to be forming and that I was welcome to be a part of it. I honestly love the idea, partly because I think it suits GALL more, and partly because I was worried that Mike's response was going to be something along the lines of, "No one responded, so you get to be president by yourself."
I've been trying to be more social and get myself out there a little more, and volunteering to help lead GALL seemed like a good way to take a few steps. It'll require me to get out and talk to people in order to get some great stuff done--and getting great stuff done with GALL is definitely worth it.

No comments: