Monday, July 6, 2009

Project Calculus

I've been working hard at this calculus stuff, and it's paying off. I've got an 86 average, and I think I can get it up to an A by the end of the semester if I study a little harder. Perhaps if I'd known that we were actually supposed to submit our worksheets, I'd already have that A. Ah, so it goes :)
I still don't know whether this class will count as Calculus I and II or just the first one. At this point, I'm no longer afraid of Calculus II. My issues with math from high school math are fading away and, well, I actually smiled today when my professor was explaining a difficult problem to my group in her office.
Our big class project is due tomorrow, but we managed to turn it in this afternoon. The professor divided the class into groups. She put me in a group with a girl named Rachel and a guy named Josh. Rachel and Josh met a few days ago, and Josh and I met today. Josh worked on the first problem while I worked on the second. Mrs. Lee, our professor, came to her office for a while, so we ambushed her and asked her for a little help. The second problem was significantly more difficult than the first (The concept was actually a little easier for me to understand, but the numbers were terribly difficult to manipulate.), so I ultimately had to go to the office three or four times. We worked on the final part of the first problem together. Josh was surprised when he used my calculator and it gave him an answer in scientific notation. He knew what it was, he was just taken aback for a few seconds. Talking about scientific notation sent me into chemistry mode. The question had something to do with profit, and when we got one of several answers Mrs. Lee asked us how many decimal places the answer would have. I started mumbling out loud about sig figs, and then Mrs. Lee smiled and reminded me that we were talking about money. She has a degree in chemistry, so she definitely knew what I was talking about. I was a little red in the face, but I still thought that my cross-discipline blunder was very amusing.
We were in the library for about three hours when Josh finally finished and decided he was going home. I walked down to the student lounge and got myself some breakfast and lunch--a Mountain Dew and a small bag of peanuts. I've been running on a few hours of sleep each night since Wednesday because I've been off at a horse show, and I woke up at 4:30 AM this morning to work on some calculus. I needed the caffeine...
After a ridonkulously long time in the library, I was ready to head home. I need to study for my test tomorrow, but instead I'm listening to Nine Inch Nails (as I often do) and typing this (as I often do when I'm at school).
I guess I'd better get started.

No comments: