Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Reese's for breakfast!

I woke up late this morning. I really just needed the extra sleep, so even when I woke up at 6:30 and started to climb out of bed, I made myself lie back down. I noticed that I was very distracted and weaved a lot when I was driving yesterday, and I really don't want to do something dangerous like that again. I eventually woke up at 9:00 and decided that I'd had enough.
I almost always have to have breakfast right after I wake up. Of course, I didn't do that on Monday. I had a small bag of peanuts and a can of Mountain Dew from the vending machines when I was working on the calculus project with Joshua, and that was after noon. Before that, I didn't have anything to eat or drink :( Ah, but I digress...
I had Reese's for breakfast. While I was rooting around in the box (I like my cereal dry.) for each handful, I looked at the back of the box. This box had a list of "18 Things To Do Before You're 18". Since I'm 19, I've kinda lost my chance at completing the list. But...what have I done?

#1. Ride the world's biggest rollercoaster.
I've been on some rollercoasters, yes. I've been on ones with loops. I've been on some really fast ones, ones with fairly large drops, all sorts of stuff. I'll get on just about anything as long as it has a sitting car. I've seen some of them let you hang, and the thought of that just freaks me out. I usually do close my eyes and hang on, though. I'm terribly scared of heights :)
I googled the "world's biggest rollercoaster" and didn't find anything useful. What makes it the "biggest"? Length? Height? Something else? I don't know. But maybe I'll get up the gall to go on one of those hanging roller coasters now that I've thought about it

#2. Bungee jump.
Uh...NO. Never. I'd bungee jump before I tried skydiving, but...no.

#3. Score the winning goal/basket.
Is the equestrian equivalent winning a blue ribbon? If so, I've got this one completed. I was usually picked last in gym class because I'm pathetic when it comes to all of those sports :P

#4. Win an award, trophy, or prize.
I got a certificate for a high score on the National Latin Exam twice (and I've taken the test twice). I won the "word processing award" in high school for being the only person who ever got my stuff done. I've won classes and prizes at horse shows. Yay me?

#5. Learn an instrument.
I attempted this one. I really did. But I can't help it that my middle school music teacher taught us how to play chess (I'm forever grateful.) instead of teaching us how to read sheet music. I attempted to learn to play the piano, and I can play a couple of things. I figured out the presidential march thing all by myself. I can play part of "Teardrop" by Massive Attack (Think of the "House" theme.) and the very beginning of "Blue" by Eiffel 65. I can play parts of "Something I Can Never Have," "The Frail," "Zero Sum," and a handful of other Nine Inch Nails songs. I have a very, very hard time playing with both hands, however, and I don't think I'll ever be a successful musician.

#6. Go backstage at a gig.
Let's work on "go to first major concert" first, and then we'll try this one. I've been to small concerts with local bands at school, but that's all. I would LOVE to go to a NIN concert one day, mostly because it's my favorite band that's still together. After all, Morrissey isn't as great without Marr by his side :(

#7. Meet your idol.
My idol? No clue. There are lots of people I'd love to meet, though. Most of them are dead. So it goes.

#8. Play a part in your favorite TV show.
I do play a part in "House." I try to analyze medical symptoms and make a diagnosis before the great Dr. Gregory House does. Hahaha. I also do that when my mom and I watch medical shows on the Discovery Health channel.

#9. Meet someone with your own name.
According to a Facebook application that I tried a few weeks ago, I'm the only person in the world with my first and last name and that there are probably around 100 people in the world with my last name. My dad and I have the same middle and last name, though, so I guess that's as close as I'll get.

#10. Make a discovery.
Hmmmm...

#11. Get away with the perfect practical joke.
I've pulled lots of fun practical jokes, both on friends and the general public. I plan to get away with lots more. I do love a good practical joke.
I don't think I ever revealed what I did on April Fool's Day this year. I cut lots of circles out of fluorescent copy paper, and then I taped them to the walls of the elevator in my favorite academic building. I figured that it would brighten everyone's dull elevator ride (The walls are an ugly, puke-y pink color.) and make people wonder who the perpetrator was (It did--someone actually asked me if I did it.), and it made for a fun, harmless thing to do on such a wonderful day.

#12. Own a pointless collection.
I collect...er, what do I collect? I could say that I collect pictures and video that I've taken. Is that pointless? Maybe.

#13. Invent a word that makes it into the dictionary.
When "wootle" makes it into the Merriam-Webster's, I'll let you guys know. But we need a definition for it, first.

#14. Conquer your biggest fear.
In some ways, I've definitely worked on it. As I said, I've gone on lots of roller coasters, and I actually like the view as long as I'm sitting securely and sure that I won't fall. A few months ago, I climbed up into the tree stand in the back field behind the barn. It was twenty feet or so off the ground and I was scared to death, but the view was great. I also helped Larry, my riding instructor, work when I was on winter break. I accepted the job offer on the condition that I would only be picking up the old shingles that he threw on the ground, but then Larry needed help with something on the roof. He knew that I was scared of heights, but he really needed me and called me to climb up the ladder. I freaked out but did it anyway. I think I would've been okay if I'd been on a flat roof, but the steep slope made me feel like I was going to fall. I did survive, however, and I guess I'm a little less afraid of heights because of it.

#15. Raise money for charity.
I've done lots of work for charity. I love to help the local therapeutic riding school. I judged a class for them at a local horse show about two weeks ago. I've helped them with their student horse show, and I've cleaned stalls for them. I haven't really given money to any charities, though. Maybe I'll do something one day...

#16. Pass your driving test the first time.
I actually did, believe it or not. I passed the learner's and license tests the first time around.

#17. Complete a road trip coast to coast.
I flew. Check.

#18. Reach 18 years of age--yes!!!
The cereal says that I'm old.

Food for thought. Yummy. I guess that's all for today.

No comments: