Saturday, April 25, 2009

It's time to crack down

I just got back from the Computer Science department picnic, which was awesome. I explored new lands, took shots of Liquid Javascript, chatted with CompSci and Chem majors, tossed around a frisbee, and even made an attempt at volleyball.
I kinda got lost on the way over there because I didn't know where the school's apartment complex is. Finding the buildings was easy enough, but finding the courtyard was difficult. I wandered about for a while until I spotted a bunch of people gathered under a tree. I asked a girl about it, and she confirmed that I'd made it to the right picnic. Her name was Becky (or some variation of it--I'm terrible with names) and we talked. She told me that she's a Chemistry major, which I think is pretty impressive. I also talked to a lot of actual CompSci majors, which makes me feel accomplished. One of my goals for this year was to be more social, and I think I've made some progress. We started tossing a frisbee around the courtyard, which was pretty funny considering how clumsy we all were. The disc frequently deviated from its intended path, flew right past the recipient, and even hit some unamused sunbathers. We had a good time with it.
Then, the "superstar of the CompSci department," Stephen, showed up and people started to eat. I gnawed on some Nutter Butter cookies, nasty vanilla wafer crisp cookies (I liked 'em when I was a kid...), and lettuce leaves from the burger toppings plate. I started with some Hawaiian Punch, then moved on to a hybrid Punch-Lemonade mix, then had way too much Mountain Dew, and finally made a smart choice to stick with water.
I was recruited for a game of volleyball, which wasn't too much of an epic failure. When we were practicing before the game, someone bumped the ball to me and I did a beautiful, ballet-like, jumping-on-one-foot number. It was pretty funny. I'm not good at volleyball at all, but it sure was fun to try. The team I was on lost, but it was all good. There were lots of awesome games afterward, and it was also lots of fun to watch.
The whole time they were setting up, I had one thing on my mind: "How many people does it take to set up a volleyball net?" The answer is... A Chem major, a handful of CompSci majors (One is required to wear a kilt.), and a professor.
There were lots of computer science discussions--people talking about the projects they're finishing, people discussing different programming languages, people talking about what classes they're in and what they're taking next semester. I don't know any programming languages other than Javascript, so I didn't have much to say even though I had a nice time listening. I've looked at Java, Python, and C++, but I definitely can't say I know anything about them. I think my next computer science class is a Java class, which is exciting. We talked about the way computer scientists start "slinking" around, which was really funny because it's kinda true :) Stephen's kid sat beside me and stuck a cup over my ear. At first I was confused because the kid was out of my peripheral vision and I had no idea what was happening to the side of my head. Then I thought it was pretty funny because I like most kids and think they're really funny. The title of "nerd" was officially bestowed upon me once Becky(?) read the front of my shirt ("Lingua mortua sola lingua bona est!") and found out about my double major. Now that I think about it... Aggh :P
All in all, I had a great time. I got all socially anxious and stuff, but I sucked it up and went anyway. I'm working on myself, and I'm making progress little by little.
Amber and I went to dinner tonight. The dining hall's food SUCKED. Most of the rooms are closed on the weekends. I started out with a PB&J, then had a salad, which consisted of romaine lettuce and some Italian dressing. I also made some plain oatmeal and added some hazelnut coffee syrup to it. It would've been quite tasty except the syrup made it taste slightly alcoholic, kind of like tasting artificial vanilla flavoring straight from the bottle. It took a few bites for me to determine that it was disgusting, and then my dinner was finished. We went to the Nest, a cafe on campus, because I have a whole lot of dining plan "dollars" that don't roll over to the next school year. I got a few things to snack on and a big scoop of the most amazing ice cream in the whole world.
Normally I don't eat ice cream. I just don't. But one day I realized that they had something called "birthday cake" ice cream. It tastes like a birthday cake. OHHHHHHHH IT'S GOOOOOOOOOD. That is one thing I will definitely miss over break :P

No comments: