Thursday, April 23, 2009

Yay life (no sarcasm this time).

I got so much accomplished today. I'm feeling full of myself :)
I went to Professor Houghtalin's office hours today to get some help with scanning poetry. I was doing all of the lines correctly by the time I left.
In Latin, I "won" the "sack of Troy award" simply because I was the final person to translate for the semester. The clock was ticking by and I was a little sad because I didn't think I would get a chance to read today. I got called on for a single sentence, the final line of Book II, and I gave the class quite a nice sight translation. Now I'm ready for Latin 305 next semester!
I also finished my final computer science project for the year thanks to Stephen. His office hours were packed, so everyone went to the lab and worked in there. I had a few undefined arrays that I fixed myself and a few that Stephen had to fix for me. I was absolutely ebullient when my save and load functions finally worked once they were fixed. I was even happier when the whole thing worked. I felt pretty dumb when Stephen pointed out that I was missing a curlybrace at the end of two different functions, but at least they were easy to fix!
Javascript is crazy, but it's so worth it in the end.
Stephen tried to assure me that not all computer science is like Javascript. I thought that was funny. The debugging and high level of anal-ness doesn't bother me all that much. I actually think that's what attracts me to it. Debugging is like a game. I'm patient. Sure, I need a "victory" every once in a while, even if it's just adding a little CSS to the page to make it look good. But it's fun to dig through everything and sniff out problems. It helps that I'm crazy about misspellings and similar errors.
I was working on my chemistry project late last night, and one member of my group asked me what I'm majoring in. I got a few surprised, awkward looks and a half a laugh when I told them. It's a little strange at first glance, but I really do see a relationship between Latin and computer science.
The chemistry project work session was a little weird last night. We did get some stuff done, but we need to bust butt tonight in order to finish for tomorrow. I drew a diagram of the battery setup for the electroplating experiment, and the whole group was impressed. I hope they like the finished product! The work session was also where I discovered the Liquid Javascript that wouldn't let me sleep last night.
I should be working. I've been productive so far, so I shouldn't slack off now.

No comments: