Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Bored.

I have a half hour until lunch and an hour and a half until computer science. I guess I'll type here for a little while.
I'm actually feeling pretty good about Chemistry this semester. Prof. Pearson (Mike?) keeps mentioning Calculus, and I was getting really nervous. I took Pre-Cal in high school, but did I learn anything? Eh, no. I did other classwork, drew pictures, or napped. I also took Trig, Algebra II, and Geometry in high school, but I didn't learn anything in those classes either. Well, I learned a little bit in Trig, mostly because the teacher was my aunt and I had to pay attention and do my stuff. In Algebra II, the teacher was a complete idiot--the class specialized in discord, such as the "electronic poot machine," throwing paper balls, failed "book drops," and leaving class to get some cigarettes from the convenience store down the road. In Geometry, the teacher taught maybe three lessons the entire year. We spent the rest of the time coloring in geometric coloring sheets, making crude jokes, gossiping about a certain teacher who had a profile on a dating site, and...uh, I almost got jumped for something I didn't even say O_o
What? I digress, as usual... 
I'm feeling good about Chemistry, though. I understand all of the conceptual stuff. It's really just the math that I have a problem with, and I bet you know why now that I've explained my past history of math classes. The math really isn't that bad yet, though. The rest of the class will probably kill me if they see this, but I hope Mike assigns lots of Mastering Chemistry work. It helps me, even though it can be really frustrating. 
My seminar class today was pretty good. We had to analyze a paper on the effect of lunar phase on emergency room visits that require CPR. I thought it was really odd, especially since they also went off on something about also finding a correlation between cases of gout, bearing triplets, asthmatic problems, and other random conditions. Come on, that's ridiculous. Perhaps there was a correlation between the new moon and cases requiring CPR, but it could be a mere coincidence. Blah. It was an interesting read, though.
I can't wait until my computer science and riding classes this afternoon. I did all of my computer science homework already. We had to use Terminal to do something with something called VIM. I'm not exactly sure how to explain all of that stuff yet, mostly because I don't quite understand it all yet. Stephen gave us two options--working with the VIM thing and writing in Notepad or something similar. I have experience with writing HTML and such in Notepad, but he said that we should use VIM if there's a chance we'll become Computer Science majors. Hehehe. Right now, it's between Latin/Education and Latin/Computer Science. 
I'm not sure if I want to teach. I'm just not that good at it. Yes, I do have a fair amount of actual teaching experience. And I don't think I'm good at it. If this computer science thing works out, I'll probably double major in Classics (with a concentration in Latin, of course) for fun and Computer Science for a job. I guess this semester will help me decide--and I have to work to get into the teaching program soon, if I want to go that way.
I still wish I could be a cognitive ethologist. My seminar teacher specializes in animal behavior, and I wish I could do that without ever having to take Biology 112. I've already got 111 under my belt because I passed the AP exam, but 112 is the semester where they dissect the fetal pigs. 
If I'm a vegetarian for animal rights reasons, it's hypocritical for me to dissect--especially animals and parts that came from a slaughterhouse.
Plus, I cried just being in the room as my AP Bio class dissected the fetal pigs. Mrs. Smith told me that I could leave, which I did on most days. Once or twice, I forced myself to stay in the room and think about it. I was a little embarrassed, being so worried about "just a pig." But it's not "just a pig," at least not to me. No one, human or animal, is "just" anything in my eyes. I can't imagine doing it and then getting a good night's sleep. Perhaps I could design my own major and somehow work with just 111. Meh. Wishful thinking.
Speaking of biology and thought, I think I will go to lunch. My body is telling me that it needs something else to eat. Yum yum yum, I love lunch time. 
Oh, yes, and I might help advertise for GALL at Club Carnival this afternoon. It all depends on what time I get back from the barn, I guess. Mike (the other Mike) wants us to wear the white masks and walk around again since the GALL table sucks and we want more members. 
I'm leaving now. My tummy's rumbling.

No comments: