Monday, January 12, 2009

The deed is done.

It's 10:47 at night, very cold outside, and I just got back from spraypainting my first stencil thing on The Wall. I did a test one on a very secluded part of the wall, where very few people would see it if it sucked. I sprayed a little too close on part of the test one, and it was a little drippy. At least I realized my mistake so that the "real" one looked better. 
I don't know what I was supposed to hold the thing down with. I used tacky putty for the smallish pieces inside the A's and O's, and I used duct tape on the main piece. It turned out okay, but I think it would've been better if I'd been able to hold the thing closer to the wood. There was a light stray spray around some of the letters and around the edges of the cardboard, which didn't make me very happy. 
I'm inexperienced and I think I should've used something else to hold it down. Oh well. I guess if I do it again (which I should, because it was fun and I haven't used up the can of paint yet) then I'll remember my mistakes and do a better job. 
I can't wait to see it in the daylight. My camera phone didn't want to take a picture of it because it was too dark. I wish I had my real camera so that I could take good pictures of it. If people leave it alone until next week, I might actually get some good pictures. Hopefully people will leave it alone until tomorrow morning so I can at least get a crappy phone picture of it. 
So, I guess I'll elaborate on the actual painting instead of just the end result. I was a little nervous about it, and I have no idea why. Everyone's free to paint on the wall whenever they want with (I'm assuming) whatever message they want. I had fun having it as a little "secret" and pretending to be really slick and devious. I waited until no one was around, and then a guy came up behind me with a spaniel-type dog on a leash. It scared the living daylights out of me. He reassured me that it was okay, even though I wasn't scared of him and his dog. I was scared that it was some kind of creeper, even though I had my Maglite with me and could've knocked someone unconscious if they tried to harm me. I also poked myself with a nail when I was kneeling down on the ground. I should've thought about nails (especially since I got one stuck in the bottom of my boot when I was working with Larry the other day), but I didn't. When I went to work on the second one, there were a few people sitting on a nearby bench. They were mostly talking and laughing, but occasionally they glanced over at me. It felt awkward. It was fun, though! My fingertips are green. Hehehe.
I feel like such a nerd. I get up the gall to do some graffiti, and it's in Latin. 
AMO LATINAM!
(Yes, I know that's not normal word order. I think it looks and sounds better that way, though.)

No comments: